This is a part-time, remote position located anywhere in Northeast/Central Florida involving working from home and traveling throughout the state periodically.
Who We Are:
D2D is a team of educators that believes we can unlock student potential and opportunity by giving all students access to excellent instruction every day. We specialize in knowing what truly excellent instruction looks like and what leaders can do to improve instruction and student learning. This involves rounds of classroom observations and consulting to help strengthen the core instructional districts including curriculum, assessment, teacher professional development and coach and leader professional development. We work collaboratively with school and district instructional leadership teams, help them understand their instructional strengths and areas for improvement, outline the pathways they can take to get better results and let them choose the option that works in their context. We then support our partners as they take action (with various levels of direct delivery from our team) and we offer cross district training and support structures for teachers and leaders in areas of common need. We currently work with small districts and charter systems in Tennessee and Florida, but plan to grow to serve hundreds of districts and systems and over a million students across multiple states.
We seek to hire a part-time Science Content Specialist to assist with the effort to improve science instruction in districts, to deliver support that leads to measurable change in instruction and to offer professional learning opportunities for teachers and leaders. We seek a motivated and detail-oriented educator with a strong background in instructional coaching - ideally with a view that spans K-12 but concentration in K-5 would be acceptable - as well as in developing and facilitating impactful adult learning experiences. Candidates should be passionate about improving instructional effectiveness and believe in the potential of students, teachers and districts. The Science Content Specialist reports to the Director of Instructional Support.
- District Support
- Accompany Directors of Instructional Support on district reviews, use the Instructional Practices Guide (IPG) to observe and score science instruction, and give feedback to district leaders and teachers
- Conduct reviews of assessments, curricula, pacing guides, scope and sequence guides, and other district materials, and write reports on them for districts
- Work with district science teams to support their instructional improvement cycle, including district visits, classroom observations, professional development, and content support
- Assist with the build-out of playbooks for districts
- Content Development and Delivery
- Develop content, such as model lessons, content exercises, and training session materials and PowerPoints
- Deliver content and professional development to teachers and leaders
- Support development of curriculum-specific transition and implementation plans
Candidate Qualifications and Traits:
- Commitment to excellent daily instruction for all students
- 3+ years of experience as a science teacher and 3+ years as an administrator or instructional coach, with a record of success achieving clearly-defined outcomes and improving student learning
- Deep knowledge of science content and pedagogy in grades 3-12
- Deep understanding of the science standards, assessments, and instructional implications
- Detail orientation, organization, and follow through
- Very strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience building positive relationships with diverse team members and stakeholders
- Ability to travel to districts throughout Florida as needed, and to Jacksonville bi-annually
- Travel often includes early morning departures and/or overnight stays. D2D covers all travel expenses.
D2D’s Core Values:
- We are optimists: We believe in the possibility of an education district that serves all students well. We hold high expectations for students, educators and ourselves. We pursue ambitious goals, work hard to overcome obstacles and we boldly try new things to reach our vision.
- We are practical: We believe support should meet people where they most need help and lead to immediate change in classroom instruction. We look for ways to work smart, focus on the most important change and reduce friction to make it easier to take action.
- We are learners: We know there are always ways to improve. We believe our long-term success is a result of how well we learn. We seek to understand the best of what is known, we reflect on successes and challenges and always look for ways we can do better.
- We are direct: We honor each other by being honest. We operate without hidden agendas, we are straightforward about what we know and what we don’t and we tell the truth, even when it is hard.
- We are thoughtful: We think things through, pay attention to details, consider our options expansively and seek to make smart decisions. We set priorities and live them in our actions. We value diverse perspectives as fundamental to our effectiveness.
Content Specialists are paid at a competitive rate of $500 per day for in-person work and $50 per hour for virtual work. Benefits and healthcare are not included.