This is a full-time position located in Nashville, TN, with some travel expected.
Who We Are:
D2D is a team of educators that believes we can unlock student potential and opportunity by giving all students access to excellent instruction every day. We specialize in knowing what truly excellent instruction looks like and what leaders can do to improve instruction and student learning. This involves rounds of classroom observations and consulting to help strengthen the core instructional systems including curriculum, assessment, teacher professional development and coach and leader professional development. We work collaboratively with school and district instructional leadership teams, help them understand their instructional strengths and areas for improvement, outline the pathways they can take to get better results and let them choose the option that works in their context. We then support our partners as they take action (with various levels of direct delivery from our team) and we offer cross district training and support structures for teachers and leaders in areas of common need. We currently work with small districts and charter systems in Tennessee and Florida, but plan to grow to serve hundreds of systems and over a million students across multiple states.
The Communications Lead will help D2D shape and disperse our message and brand. As a rapidly growing organization, we seek to hire a full-time team member to manage our external communications. Three buckets of work – writing, media, and visuals/brand management – form the crux of the position’s responsibilities. The position demands a self-motivated and insanely detail-oriented person who is comfortable helping with many aspects of communications across the organization. The Communications Lead will report to the Chief Growth Officer.
- Draft organization-wide communications, such as monthly newsletters, announcements, district notifications, and partner emails
- Vet key external communications
- Update D2D’s style guide and keep it living across the organization
- Work with state Executive Directors on their communications
- Support the CEO on broader communications
- Assist with grant language and fundraising materials
- Draft and edit outreach language to external partners as well as support the Chief Growth Officer with outreach approach strategy (which may include CRM tracking support)
- Review copy for various public communications and assist with copy editing on key projects
- Support publications and proposals development
- Manage consultants to update our website and brand, and assist with website and brand upkeep and editing
- Spearhead brand management across the organization and help disseminate D2D’s brand to the wider public
- Create detailed and carefully curated PowerPoints on D2D’s strategy and for major events
- Create visually alluring graphics related to our services and brand
- Create and train D2D staff to use helpful templates, such as agenda, report, book, and other templates for events and reports
- Manage photographs and images for the organization
- Work with press and news contacts to spread the word about D2D events and happenings
- Support the CEO in writing blog posts and op-ed pieces about D2D
- Run social media accounts and develop a social media strategy for Twitter, Facebook, and other outlets
- Assist the training and support teams in displaying research and resources on our website and help build and alternative display method
- Manage videographers and help create organizational testimony videos and other videos, as needed
Candidate Qualifications and Traits:
- Minimum 3 years communications and/or marketing experience
- Some education experience and instructional frame of reference, either as a former teacher or working closely with educators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Insane attention to detail
- Flexible mindset – excited to wear multiple hats and eager to take on new projects and responsibilities as needs arise
- Highly organized, with an affinity for project planning and a knack for managing and supporting others
- Great PowerPoint skills (or willing to improve to greatness!), with some eye for design
- At least basic graphic design skills (proficiency preferred)
- Experience building positive relationships with diverse team members and stakeholders
- Commitment to D2D’s mission of excellent daily instruction for all students
- Ability to travel nationally as needed and to team retreats bi-annually
D2D’s Core Values:
- We are optimists: We believe in the possibility of an education system that serves all students well. We hold high expectations for students, educators and ourselves. We pursue ambitious goals, work hard to overcome obstacles and we boldly try new things to reach our vision.
- We are practical: We believe support should meet people where they most need help and lead to immediate change in classroom instruction. We look for ways to work smart, focus on the most important change and reduce friction to make it easier to take action.
- We are learners: We know there are always ways to improve. We believe our long-term success is a result of how well we learn. We seek to understand the best of what is known, we reflect on successes and challenges and always look for ways we can do better.
- We are direct: We honor each other by being honest. We operate without hidden agendas, we are straightforward about what we know and what we don’t and we tell the truth, even when it is hard.
- We are thoughtful: We think things through, pay attention to details, consider our options expansively and seek to make smart decisions. We set priorities and live them in our actions. We value diverse perspectives as fundamental to our effectiveness.
Compensation is competitive with charter and nonprofit sector positions and is commensurate with experience. Detailed information about the organizational compensation philosophy is available upon application. Competitive benefits and private retirement investment options are available, as well as a generous vacation policy.